This Grade II listed former Methodist Chapel from 1867 had fallen into disrepair and was on English Heritage’s Register of Buildings at Risk. The recent refurbishment to create a gallery for modern art involved extensive repairs to the fabric to assure the long-term future of the building together with works to improve safety and accessibility.
MHA worked with English Heritage to devise appropriate solutions to the problems which were sympathetic to the original fabric. Cintec ties were cored into the original fabric and grouted into position to stitch across the masonry cracks. The gable wall was humoured back into line with the wall rebuilt where necessary reusing the existing bricks set in lime mortar.
Dealing with the balustrade in the main hall was an interesting problem in keeping with the challenges often faced when working with listed buildings: rather than rebuild the balustrade to comply with modern day codes, a solution was devised that worked with the existing fabric whilst evidently legible as a modern day intervention. Although the final solution did not comply with modern strength requirements, it provided significantly greater restraint and robustness than the original.
Client: The Zabludowicz Arts Trust
Architect: Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
Contract Value: £1.6M